How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card In New York
Finding the right, New York-licensed physician and getting an appointment for a certificate and medical marijuana card can be difficult. Natural ReLeaf and Leafwell have teamed up to make the process of finding a qualified physician easy by providing New York patients with online consultations. You can get a New York medical marijuana card simply by:
- Registering online with Leafwell & speak to a New York licensed physician - Get Started Here
- Once approved, download your doctor’s certificate. Register with the New York Department of Health at https://my.ny.gov/
- Once you have registered with the NY DoH, you will receive your temporary ID card. You can use this to shop at any New York dispensary. Your permanent card arrives in 7-10 days.
No appointment is necessary. You can speak to a physician online and qualify for medical cannabis in minutes. You are only billed if approved, so don’t worry if you’re thinking of applying and don’t think you’ll qualify! Once qualified, your physician’s certificate is valid for 1 year.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Chronic pain
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Multiple sclerosis
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Huntington's disease
- Opioid use disorder (only if enrolled in a treatment program pursuant to article 32 of the mental hygiene law.)
- Opioid Replacement
- Parkinson's disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Cachexia Syndrome
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Severe or chronic pain
- Severe nausea
- Severe or persistent muscle spasm
- Wasting Syndrome
- Opioid use disorder (only if enrolled in a treatment program pursuant to article 32 of the mental hygiene law)
You only need proof of identity to qualify for a medical marijuana card and certificate in New York. ID number from your NYS Driver’s License or NYS Non-Driver ID Card. When registering online, do NOT upload a copy of your ID. You only need to enter the 9- digit number in the NYS DMV ID field provided on the registration screen.
Those without a NY, NYS Driver’s License or NYS Non-Driver ID Card can upload a recent photo; head and shoulders up on a plain background (.jpg format) with no hat or sunglasses. This photo can be taken with a cell phone or camera.
You must be aged 18 years-old or over in order to qualify for a medical marijuana certificate and MMJ card in New York. Those aged under 18, or those who are incapable of using or getting medical marijuana for themselves (e.g. if the patient is homebound) require a caregiver. Caregivers must be aged 21 or over, and must apply for a caregiver card. Caregivers may be added during the patient registration process or after the patient registration has been submitted.
"[R]egistered organizations will be allowed to manufacture and distribute additional products including topicals such as lotions, ointments and patches, as well as solid and semi-solid products including chewable and effervescent tablets and lozenges. Certain non-smokable forms of ground plant material will also be permissible for manufacture and distribution."
Please note: smoking (combusting) cannabis bud or flowers is illegal in New York, even for qualifying NY medical marijuana patients. The physician will recommend the method and amount by which the patient takes their cannabis, which is usually tinctures, capsules and inhalers. Patients are advised to stick to the doctor’s advice!
There may be some issues for those in public housing, as federal law prohibits cannabis use, even for medical reasons. Whilst many states have started to build in protections against such rules for qualifying patients, these are not necessarily in effect in New York.